Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Grapes and Misunderstandings (Also Known As: The Greatest Accient That Never Was)

Yesterday day while in the course of my jog I was running through the small town of Sopovo. While running down the middle of the one and only street in town I was stopped and called over to the yard of an elderly gentleman whom had briefly spoken with a couple of times before. When I came over he told me to wait while he hauled over a ladder, climbed up, and cut off three large bunches of grapes which he gave me as a gift. Delighted at my acceptance into the Bulgarian culture, both him and I failed to realize that with an ipod in one hand, and no back in site, I would be forced to carry the grapes in my right hand. Not wanting to be rude, I thanked him and continued on my run, bunches of grapes in hand.

When I reached a safe distance out of town I threw two of the bunches away as they were too much to carry for four more kilometers. When I was half a kilometer from town I felt a sharp pain in my right knee and was forced to walk (rather limp) the remaining distance home. I walked in the front door, took off my shoes and placed the grapes on the front bench. I then limped into the kitchen, not realizing that the grapes had bleed all over my yellow shirt and down my arm. Sadly, this was the first sight which Raina saw of me that day: Me limping into the kitchen, in my running clothes, with dark red liquid all over the right side of my body.

After a minute of calming Raina down I was finally able to explain to her what actually happened but needless to say, she was quite sure that I had been hit by a car. We all had a good laugh about it around the dinner table last night.

Currently Reading:
"A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" by Dave Eggers
Currently Listening to: "Ghost of the Great Highway" by Sun Kil Moon

2 Comments:

Blogger Jess Fuller said...

Hey Eric,

What a funny story! I love reading your posts and they make me miss traveling!!! Hope all is well and I can't wait to hear about your next great adventure.

Love ya!

Jess

8:39 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Haha, it seems we are related with our fascinating stories that only people already traveling can truly understand.

I'm in Tibet right now, and will be at Everest base camp in about three days! Wish me luck!

love yah

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home