Sunday, October 01, 2006

Life as a Bulgarian

I awoke this morning to a rooster crowing outside my window and the sounds of guests milling around in the kitchen outside my room. Why all the excitement you may be asking yourself? It's wine day for my family. At 9 o'clock we headed to the fields nearby and picked grapes for about three hours. After a picnic lunch in the fields we headed back to the house and began the process of making wine. The beginning of this process involves pouring the grapes into a large bucket and stomping on them to release the juices. We then poured the buckets (juice, grapes, stems included) into a large barrel where they will sit and ferment for a month. Althoguh I wont' be in Boboshevo when it is ready, I was promised by my host father that he will have a couple of bottles waiting for me when I return.

In other important news, I was asked to play soccer on the Boboshevo team as a substitute last night. As flattering as this sounds, I was asked by one of the players who had never seen me play but assumed I was good since we had been talking about soccer for the past thirty minutes. Either way I feel honored...

Currently Reading: "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Safran Foer
Currently Listening to: "Blue Screen Life" by Pinback

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

Remember all those times you heard about Moscow as a kid? It is strange to actually be sitting in this city at an internet cafe. We met a couple Russians on the train, shared our meal with them, and are now staying at their friends apartment in downtown Moscow... for free. I love Eastern Europe.

1:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home