Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Things To Love About Bulgaria

1) Shopska Salad: Fresh tomatoes and cucumbers cut up and topped with shredded cyrene cheese. Of course, accompanied by a glass of homemade rakia.

2) Boboshevo: The more I live in the town, the more I grow to love it. It's small, quaint and has some incredibly nice people.

3) The People: Walking home from a hike the other day we were startled by a Bulgarian screaming from the Rakia Hut "America! USA! Rakia!" What followed was a hour long discussion in broken Bulgarian learning about how rakia is made as well as trying some rakia which was just made.

4) Drivers: If you though the Italians were bad drivers, just wait until you see Bulgarians. While taking a taxi from Dupnitsa to Boboshevo last week I had the joy of riding with a cab driver who would reach the maximum possible speed at the top of a hill, then switch the car into neutral and turn off the car as we coasted down the hill. Meanwhile, he is passing cars in the middle of a two lane highway.

Currently Reading: "A Man in Full" by Tom Wolfe
Currently Listening to: "Rebels, Rogues, and Sworn Brothers" by Lucero

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin T. Kreiman said...

Okay, it's random that I'm leaving you a comment, but I appreciate randomness every now and again. I just stumbled into your blog on the log-in page of blogger...and I loved it.

I'm from Iowa, I'm a senior at a small private college, and decided to spend a semester in New York. I'm blogging about my experiences here, and when I came across your blog, I was glad to read about your international travels and adventures. I'm stoked that you have to learn a new language and that you'll be gone for two years. How exciting, and what an experience for you!

I'm proud of you for doing what you're doing. Kudos to you, have fun in your adventures and good luck. Perhaps I'll be inspired to join the Peace Corp. after college...

Peace and Joy,
Erin

8:53 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Brother, I miss you! I'm in Polska now after a rocking week in Spain. Good to be sharing Eastern Europe with you. I love yah.
Andrew

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home