Friday, October 27, 2006

Boshe Moy!

Well, my first week of work is coming to an end and I have to say that I couldn't be happier. It has been a slow week, work wise, as for the first month or two they allow for an easing in process as we adjust to the environment and the language. I am working in the office of European Union integration for the municipality of Bratsigovo. Although we are technically affiliated with the municipality, we are considered a non-governmental organization which greatly increases the base from which we can write grants.

The main purpose of our organization is to identify needs and problems within the community and do what we can to help improve upon the situation. This many times involved writing grants to various organizations as well as interacting personally with the community. As of today, we won a grant to help install a heating system into the "halfway home" here in Bratsigovo. This home is a place where teens from the two local orphanages can live after the "graduate" from the orphanage. It's an exciting project which I will be working with frequently in the future. The project which I will personally be working on is for the renovation of a community center and pensionere's club in the nearby town of Biaga. Although I was initially disappointed to be working in an "obshtina," I think I have the potential to do much more here than I would in another NGO.

Since I have no great stories this week, and absolutely no animal bloodshed to share, I supose I will rant for a bit. Of all the non-personal things (family and friends) I will miss from the states, one of the largest things has to be a brand new season of "24." That's right, I said it... I'm bummed I will not be able to see a freaking TV show. I was told fox posted a trailer online and that it is incredible but being without sound or proper technology, I am unable to see it. Which brings me to my next point... I have will provide an extra special Bulgarian gift for whoever manages to find a way to send me episodes of "24." Be sure to keep in mind that I am technologically incompetent, as I have been living in a future EU country and am still unable to post pictures. Yet somehow my evil twin brother, traveling through Tibet has managed to find ways to post pictures, and videos, his entire trip. Boshe Moy...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home